Job Title: Kitchen & Warehouse Staff, seasonal and year-round positions available
Pay: $12 - $18 hr, DOE
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Start date: 2020
Grow with us! At Barnacle, we strive to connect people to unique Alaskan ingredients through familiar, everyday foods. We believe that food should have amazing flavors, dense nutrition, and share the story of the people and places the ingredients come from. Our kitchen and warehouse team is the heart of Barnacle. The precision and care that go into each jar is the foundation of our company.
Become part of a fast paced and dynamic workplace processing and preserving the seasonal bounty. Barnacle is in its fourth year of business and growing. There is opportunity to progress professionally in this position.
THIS POSITION ASSISTS IN ALL ASPECTS OF PROCESSING FOODS FOR BARNACLE FOOD’S PRODUCTS.
- Preparing ingredients including peeling, cutting, dicing, opening cans, mixing, etc.
- Carefully weighing, recording, and assembling products following detailed recipe procedures and checklists
- Heat processing products and transferring to jars and other containers
- Cleaning and sanitizing kitchen facility including kitchen surfaces and dishes
- Observing and maintaining safety protocols with particular attention to machinery and electrical equipment
- Completing training to meet food handling requirements
- Working on feet all day in fast paced environment
- Packaging finished product for sale following different protocols for retail, wholesale, and online shipping
- Undertaking other duties within the manufacturing team and the wider business including working in warehouse, organizing, packing orders, and preparing shipments
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING TRAITS:
- Self-starter and motivated
- Ability to work on a team and independently
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Culinary experience or a strong desire to learn kitchen skills
- Interest in local foods
- Attention to detail, adhering to food safety protocols, and following recipes and instructions
- Enthusiastic and open minded
- Maintain a strict level of personal and workplace hygiene
- Comply with food safety protocols for food processors
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Physical Demand: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, use hands to finger, handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop; bending or crouching; talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift/carry and/or move up to 50 pounds safely. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The job requires most of the day be spent on feet, standing.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions and other element prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.