Location: Juneau, Alaska
Close Date: Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:15a - 4:45p
Starting Pay: $17 - 20/hr DOE
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to email@example.com.
GROW WITH US! At Barnacle, we strive to connect people to unique Alaskan ingredients through familiar, everyday foods. We believe that food should have amazing flavor, dense nutrition, and share the story of the people and places the ingredients come from. Our team is the heart of Barnacle.
We use local ingredients like Alaskan kelp to make shelf-stable pickles, hot sauce, salsa, and seasonings. The precision and care that go into each jar is the foundation of our company. It's a fast-paced job, with a high energy team.
Become part of a fast-paced, high energy workplace sharing Alaska’s seasonal bounty.
This position is a member of the kitchen team with special attention paid to efficiency, setting up, disassembling, and maintaining equipment.
- Maintain a strict level of personal and workplace hygiene
- Ability to follow COVID safety protocols
- Comply with food safety protocols for food processors
- Ability to lift 90 lbs and work on feet all day
Ideal Candidate would be:
- Mechanically inclined
- Mechanically inclined or background in engineering
- Familiar with proper handling and care of equipment
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work on a team and independently
- Attention to detail and quick learner
- Familiarity with food safety protocols, and following recipes and instructions
EQUIPMENT LEAD TASKS INCLUDE:
- Overseeing daily set up and take down of kitchen processing equipment
- Tracking maintenance and upkeep of kitchen processing equipment
- Troubleshooting issues with equipment
- Training team members on proper set up, take down, and handling of equipment
- Paying close attention to workflows and efficiency of kitchen processes
- Completing training to meet food handling requirements
- Preparing ingredients including peeling, cutting, dicing fresh produce, opening cans, mixing, etc.
- Carefully weighing, recording, and assembling products following detailed recipe procedures and checklists
- Heat processing products and transferring to jars and other containers
- Cleaning and sanitizing kitchen facility including kitchen surfaces and dishes
- Observing and maintaining safety protocols with particular attention to machinery and electrical equipment
- Packaging finished product for sale following different protocols for retail, wholesale, and online shipping
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Physical Demand: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, use hands/fingers, handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop; bending/crouching; talk and hear. The employee must be able to lift/carry and/or move up to 50 pounds safely. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The job requires most of the day to be spent on feet, standing.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions and other elements prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is often loud.
Barnacle Foods is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity in its workplace. We hire qualified candidates and make all employment-related decisions based on job-related qualifications, without regard to characteristics such as race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by law.