Prep Time: 30 minutes / 1 hour
Featured Barnacle Products:
An easy dish for a weeknight, or quick entertaining. Spicy Bullwhip Paella is a must!
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 oz. sausage (or sub other seafood and combine with seafood below)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bottle Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce (add less is your preference is for less spice)
- Pinch of saffron
- 3 cups short grained rice
- 6 cups broth of choice
- 10 oz. seafood (try shrimp, salmon, halibut, shellfish, spiced canned octopus)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Kelp Pickles
- Lemon quartered
In a large sauce pan (minimum 12 inches in diameter) or paellera (paella pan) add half of the oil. Heat until sizzling, add sausage (skip step if not adding sausage). Once browned, add onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add tomato paste and remaining oil. Cook until caramelized and fragrant.
- Add rice and Bullwhip Hot Sauce.
- Stir occasionally, until rice is coated and starting to turn translucent (about three minutes).
- Stir in broth and saffron, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring broth to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Continue to simmer for 12 - 15 minutes until rice is nearly cooked.
- Arrange seafood and kelp pickles on top of rice, cover pan with foil or a lid. Simmer until the rice is cooked al dente and seafood is cooked.
- Remove from heat and keep covered to let rice steam for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.