Prep Time: 15 mins - 2 hours / 15 mins
Featured Barnacle Products:
Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce
Crispy, crunchy tofu nuggets are drenched in a tangy celery + cucumber slaw for what might be the most decadent vegetarian meal we can imagine. Inspired by tofu queen @justinesnacks, recipe by Sara Tane.
- 1 (15 oz) block extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (can sub milk or any alt-milk)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce, divided, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Olive oil, for frying
- Wrap block of tofu in paper towels and place on a rimmed plate or sheet pan. Top with something heavy (such as a cast iron skillet) and press for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours (you want to remove as much moisture as possible). Remove and pat dry. Slice into 1/2-inch thick planks.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk buttermilk and 2 tablespoons Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce. In a third shallow bowl, add Panko bread crumbs. Season all 3 bowls with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dredge tofu planks in flour, tapping off any excess. Then dredge in milk mixture, then coat in Panko breadcrumbs. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the Bullwhip honey butter. In a small saucepan or skillet, melt butter. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Make the slaw. In a medium bowl, mix celery, cucumber, scallions, dill, remaining 1 tablespoon Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce, and extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fry the tofu. In a large (preferably cast iron) skillet, heat 1/4 inch olive oil. Once oil is hot, add breaded tofu (without crowding the pan) and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side, flipping with a fish spatula or tongs. Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet and brush with Bullwhip honey butter. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Serve cutlets topped with slaw, more Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce, and fresh dill. Serve immediately.
Explore More Recipes
Creamy greens and gooey eggs are topped with Serrano Bullwhip Kelp Hot Sauce for the best brunch you'll want to eat at every meal.
FeaturingSerrano Kelp Hot Sauce
Creamy white bean dip is drizzled with Kelp Chili Crisp and sprinkled with Everything Bagel Kelp Seasoning for serious flavor with every bite...
FeaturingKelp Chili Crisp Everything Bagel Kelp Seasoning
Make these spicy golden cauliflower bites to satisfy a crowd. A flavor bomb with every bite...